Being a Homestuck troll is just like being gay.
I really, genuinely feel awful for all of the old Doctors now.
And the way Moffat explained it was soooo condescending:
“They’re all brilliant, they’re all terrific, but time has passed. I think it would be beyond the dignity of all those very fine actors to want to force themselves back into a costume from 20 or 30 years ago.” (SFX Magazine)
I saw Peter Davison speak yesterday at Hal Con, and his take on the issue was much the same. He said that he feels the 50th is celebrating the 50th Anniversary itself rather than 50 years of the program. He said that Moffat had basically penned something that celebrates his own work rather than something than something that celebrates the show as a whole. Peter Davison said that he felt let down to be part of a group excluded from the anniversary despite his role in its history, which is really very sad.
He said that Moffat had basically penned something that celebrates his own work rather than something than something that celebrates the show as a whole.
I know I’ve reblogged this before, but the added Davidson quote just makes me terribly sad. I got into who properly in the Eccleston years, but I’ve always been aware of it. It’s a huge part of the TV culture of the UK and the wider sci fi community. People who have no interest in the show now remember hiding behind the sofa when they saw the Daleks. And some people have been watching the show since the beginning and still love it now. The fiftieth should not be about one man and his ego. It should be about the fans, all the doctors, all the companions and all the stories that have been loved and lived. And we’re not going to get that.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - of all the awful things Moffat has done, this is the worst by far.
Whole generations of nerd kids in the US were raised on Doctor Who on PBS too. Four is the most beloved, I think, but Five is close. (And I met Peter Davison at a con last year and he was such a sweet, lovely man)
How often does ANY TV show endure long enough to do a 50th anniversary special? It absolutely should include all the living past Doctors and anyone else who wants to show up. It could and should be a multigenerational experience. There are people who loved the show as kids whose grandchildren are fans now.
This was recorded by the Portsmouth Sinfonia in an experiment where all the members of the orchestra would swap instruments with each other and attempt to play them to the best of their ability.
favorite things about this
- literally all the brass starts to get the hang of it and then the crescendos happen and everyone is like FUCK FUCK FUCK??? FUCK. JUST. BLOW RLY HARD.
- the strings are lazy but also the same. like u can tell a lot of the ppl w/ the stringed instruments may already basically know how to play stringed instruments. like there’s definitely a section at the beginning where you hear a good portion going “oh yeah this is like. a smaller/bigger version of what i do.”
- all you hear of any woodwinds is just “pffffttt??? pFFFTTTT???? PFFFFFTTTT I SAID PFFFFTTTT!!!!!” bc woodwinds are fucking HARD and you hear after like the first crescendo half of them just give up. they give up. they’re done. fuck this it tastes weird and my lips hurt.
- that trumpet. that person is fucking TRYING man they fucking GOT this. they may not have figured out notes but they figured out LOUD and they GOT this.
- someone’s about to break a timpani head
Trumpet person never gives up and is an inspiration
I’m sorry but can we talk about how the Doctor has visited Ankh-Morpork
#no but it’s awesome! #you know that the TARDIS got stolen as soon as the doctor parked it #and in the next second he pissed off vimes and got arrested #and then he tried to get his TARDIS back with the help of nobby and colon #and shit would start falling apart because discworld is an alternative universe to the verse the doctor usually resides in #and monsters would emerge and swamp dragons would explode everywhere #and vimes would be like ‘NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN NOT IN MY CITY NOT ON MY WATCH’ #and vetinari would order the doctor to solve this problem #and all would end well #(except maybe a part of the unseen university would fall apart but you know - things happen!) #and the librarian would become the doctor’s companion #yes it’d happen #(also I don’t think any of you understands how much I want susan as eleven’s companion. the babysitter to the biggest child in the universe? perfect)